Monday, October 29, 2012

Yoga's many benefits... and a personal journey

Greetings wellness lovers!

Today I have guest blogger, Carolyn, from Full-On-Fit, here to talk about some of the benefits of yoga, as well as share insight from her personal journey to discovering the practice of yoga!

 Photo by RelaxingMusic
My Journey to Yoga
by Carolyn Fallon

An individual’s yoga experience is something so unique. It’s a little hard to describe because it is unlike anything I’ve experienced. I am not all well versed on the technical jargon used to describe the poses or whatever, but I can give you a glimpse of what I experienced in my first yoga class.  

First, let me start off by giving you a little background. My fitness background consists of spinning and boot camp classes. I was a long-time member of a local gym nearby that offered challenging classes that really helped me take my fitness to another level. The classes are intense and challenging on so many levels. The energy levels of the classes are foreign to me and I appreciate the motivating instructors. I highly recommend any of the two classes. I have nothing but rave reviews for both.

So, why a yoga class?

Well, I feel like it’s necessary to step outside of your comfort zone occasionally from time to time. What better way to do that than experiment a little? I decided to try out a yoga class.

I had done a great deal of research on the subject of yoga. I knew it would be something totally different from anything I’ve experienced. The weight loss, inner peace and flexibility benefits were all benefits of interest to me, but the flexibility benefit appealed to me the most.

Many yoga classes are structured in a way that helps you adjust to stretching your body safely. The poses are designed minimize the risk of injury. The conditioning aspect from yoga classes can help improve your range of motion, promoting flexibility over time. Even sports teams are trying yoga. Dr. Glen Axelrod of the Center for Orthopedic & Spine Care claims, “Many professional athletic teams use yoga as an integral part of their training.”

And now the adventure: my first yoga class

It was exciting! Even though I had research it a great deal, I was still very surprised at how the experience affected me. I was fortunate enough to have a friend accompany me to this new experience. She had been practicing it for some time, so it wasn’t anything new for her. Thankfully, she was gracious enough to help me through the basics like the best attire to wear.  

Coming from a world of high impact, loud instructional group exercise format to a quiet setting was an adjustment. The people in the class were so quiet. I remember looking around and marveling at how all of the people appeared to be in their own world. The peaceful environment was perfect.

We started off with this mountain pose and transitioned into a warrior pose. I learned a new word, “asanas”, and how the term applies to all of the poses in yoga. I learned the importance of breathing and how it affects the experience. There were some hiccups along the way, but I had a supportive friend who quietly reassured me and kept me going.

I felt so accomplished finishing that class. I now practice it regularly on my own alone. There something about the yoga experience that transforms you. I love taking that time out on a daily basis to nurture myself.  

Carolyn Fallon is a 20-something year old with a passion for life, fitness and overall well being.  She is an avid spinner, healthy cooking enthusiast and lover of life. Check out Carolyn’s blog Full-On Fit!

Have an excellent day!!

xoxo,
Ashley   

1 comment:

  1. Yoga is something a way of life, it gives numerous health benefits to us and at the same time, can treat health problems we may have. Yoga is not the same as an ordinary exercise, we need to have a full concentration when doing yoga, it seems we are getting to know more deeply our selves because of yoga.

    ReplyDelete