Well, hello there wellness lovers!
Are we already near the middle of summer 2014? Well actually, it has seemed like summer for months now here in the high desert...
And for heavens' sake, the craft stores have already moved their summer decor to the clearance sections, and have already started stocking the shelves for fall!
I digress...time just seems to be going by way to fast these days.
Anyways, I am just excited that summer fruits, like peaches, are finally in season!
What are some of the benefits of peaches, you may be wondering...
(I'm pretty sure I'm not the only nutrition geek/nerd/weirdo that Googles benefits of "--------" whenever I am eating something, hahaha.)
Anyways, I've come up with a list of 10 reasons why you may want to enjoy a peach, or many, this summer!
Keep in mind... peaches are on the Environmental Working Group's 'Dirty Dozen Plus' list, so if you are on a grocery budget, maybe at least try to purchase organic peaches. Or even better... plant a peach tree in your backyard! ;)
12 Reasons to Enjoy Peaches
1. They are an excellent source of potassium, which is beneficial to fluid regulation and also cleanses the kidneys.
2. Fiber assists in promoting feelings of satiation, as well as keeps your digestive system regulated.
3. Flavonoids, a class of antioxidants, assist in reducing inflammation and encouraging healthy cell growth.
4. Vitamins A and C make peaches a natural skin moisturizer, as both of these nutrients assist in regenerating the skin.
5. Beta carotene, an antioxidant, is thought to be beneficial to eye health.
6. Selenium, a mineral with antioxidant properties, may protect against cancer by protecting cells from damage.
7. Vitamin K is an essential nutrient that regulates normal blood clotting, assists with the
transport of calcium throughout the body, and may be beneficial to bone health.
8. Vitamin E supports a healthy immune system, eyes, and skin.
9. Pectin assists in stabilizing blood sugar and regulating the digestive system, thanks to the fact that it's a form of soluble fiber.
10. Lastly, enjoying peaches are a perfect way to satisfy your cravings for sweets... naturally and healthfully!
Environmental Working Group
I hope you are having a lovely weekend!