Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Rainy Day, Candles, & Green Tea



















Brrrrrrrrr... it just started raining! And it's really coming down! Apparently we are having at least one more winter storm for the year!

But I am staying warm and cozy! I brewed myself a cup of relaxing green tea (thanks to L-Theanine!), lit a candle in my office, and am now blogging while listening to my Integrative Nutrition lectures. ♥

Anyways, I just wanted to let you know that if you are interested in enrolling at Integrative Nutrition, there are 2 more days to sign up for the next quarter! And, they are also giving away iPad 2s for new students who enroll by March 25, 5 pm  EDT. More info can be found here.

Now, about green tea... I know it may be nerdy, but I always like to know the health benefits of everything I am eating or drinking. We all know green tea is good for you... but why exactly?

Benefits of Green Tea

"Green Tea's health benefits are largely due to its high content of flavonoids — plant-derived compounds that are antioxidants. Green tea is the best food source of a group called catechins. In test tubes, catechins are more powerful than vitamins C and E in halting oxidative damage to cells and appear to have other disease-fighting properties. Studies have found an association between consuming green tea and a reduced risk for several cancers, including, skin, breast, lung, colon, esophageal, and bladder." Source: Harvard Health

What about L-Theanine?

L-Theanine is an amino acid derivative commonly found in tea. It is able to cross the blood-brain barrier, and has psychoactive properties. (Whaaat?) L-Theanine has been shown to reduce mental & physical stress and improve cognition and mood. It may also help the body's immune response to infection by boosting the disease-fighting capacity of cells. Source: Wikipedia

What's your favorite tea?

I hope you are having a great week! Happy Spring! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment